Floor tiling: discard old floorboards and replace with ply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have read previous posts with interest but would appreciate clarification on the following:

I intend to lay ceramic floor tiles in my bathroom. The floorboards are of the traditional kind (ie not chipboard sheets). If I was to cover the floorboards with 6mm ply, along with the depth of the tiles and adhesive it would create a step up from carpet in the hallway of about 25mm, which is not acceptable. The bathroom fitter (who is not doing the tiling, incidentally...) suggested that I should take up the traditional floorboards and replace them with 18mm floorgrade ply. I intend to do this unless anyone advises against it! Is there any reason why this would not work? I intend to insert noggins between the joists and will screw the ply down at small, regular intervals to reduce any risk of movement. I will be using BAL powdered flexi adhesive and grout for this job. Is there anything else I need to do?

I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If your boards are tongue and grooved than you can use bal fastflex. If not then the plywood option in 18mm is the way to go, but a coat of unibond to the plywood would be a good idea.

I tend to use 22mm T&G plywood if I'm replacing a floor but as you are using ceramic as against natural stone you should be OK, provided your joists are at 400mm cts or less.

DO NOT unibond the ply, your spec for adhesive is fine just spread it onto the ply, I would go for rapidset flexible as the room won't be out of action for 24hrs.

Jason

Sponsored Links
If your ply is 18mm that is the same thickness as the floorboards you are taking up, so when you add adhesive and the tiles you will STILL have a step.

joe

joe-90 said:
If your ply is 18mm that is the same thickness as the floorboards you are taking up, so when you add adhesive and the tiles you will STILL have a step.

joe

Which will be cancelled out by the thickness of any carpet,underlay in the hallway :D

Jason

Old floor is at the tip; new 18mm marine ply is down. Looks like it'll work a treat. I've put a tile down and hardly any step up - as Jason B says, it's cancelled out by the carpet and underlay.

Thanks again, you've been a great help! It's so much better when you have confidence your plans will work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back