Floor tiles requiring sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking at different porcelain tiles and I’d like to buy these ones from wickes

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Oly...celain-Wall+Floor-Tile---600-x-300mm/p/213366
The description says they require sealing before and after fitting
What’s the purpose of the sealant? Is it to prevent liquid from staining them, keep them shiny or what?
A tiler we spoke to said sealing isn’t strictly necessary unless they are in a high traffic area, but the fact that they recommend sealing before fitting makes me think that adhesive or grout could damage them

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother sealing the tiles you reference. Grout & adhesive snots will be easy to wipe away - damp sponge off as you go.
Those tiles will take lots of domestic traffic.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it says they need sealing then they need sealing . It’s to stop any colour from the adhesive or grout impregnating the tile.
All cuts wil also need sealing.
It’s a laborious task , and unnecessary really these days as most porcelains now don’t require any of the nonsense.
It’s quite a light tile so the chances are you’d be using a grey adhesive and dark grout which may stain right through the tile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't bother sealing the tiles you ref. Grout & adhesive snots will be easy to wipe away - damp sponge off as you go.
Those tiles will take lots of domestic traffic.
Snots? :LOL: really? :LOL: Stick to damp tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back