floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best way of lifting up ceranmic floor tiles of of plywood floors please?as a couple of my tiles have lifted in the kichen which is a floating chipboard floor overlaid with ply then tiled

Sponsored Links
Try to scrape away as much grout around the affected tiles, and then try to work from the most central part of the crack(central in the tile i mean) work from the inside towards the edge of the tile gently tapping with a hammer and bolster or driver, then scrape out ALL of the adhesive and ALL of the grout before re-laying, this will hopefully mean that you can avoid chipping or cracking any adjacent tiles. There defo will be bits of tile flying around so you must wear goggles and gloves and try to protect any units that could be damaged by flying debris.
Simply replacing the tile may not be the best long term solution as there could be a reason why they have cracked, if there are a few in a line, probably means the substrate is moving so there for more work may be needed

hope this helps

bbtc has advised how to get the tiles up but if you’ve got several loose/cracked tiles, I fear you may have a more serious problem with floor rigidity, use of inferior/incorrect adhesive/grout or possibly both.

Do you know what brand & type of adhesive/grout was used? How is the ply over board fixed? what type of ply & how thick is it? You also say “floating chipboard floor”, is that actually what you have or is it a suspended timber floor over joists? The two are very different, tiling onto a floating floor is not recommended & can give problems.

think its over suspended block and beam then polystyrene then chipboard ply is 12mm thick and screwed down approx every 4 inches.
tiles haven`t cracked just lifted.
they`ve been down appprox 6 years
not sure used ready mixed though from B&Q i think

Sponsored Links
It’s almost certain the tiles have failed
a. Because of the suspender block & beam floor isn’t rigid enough
b. Because the chipboard & then the ply isn’t adequately supported/suitably rigid
c. You used completely the wrong tile adhesive.

The adhesive bond has failed (probably due to the crap addy) but if it hadn’t, the tiles would have cracked instead. Floating floors can be a nightmare to tile, the clue is in the name; generally they are unsuitable unless you do a whole load of preparation. They don’t have enough rigidity; the only support they have is sitting on a huge slab of styrene insulation, they are also designed to move; neither of these characteristics is suitable for a tile base; only chance is to use expensive latex based addy & epoxy grout but even then it stands a good chance of failure. Unless you do something to support the floor from the concrete block, I fear it will fail again. Tub ready mix is not suitable for floors let alone the BnQ stuff. You must use powder cement based addy of the correct type for your floor & tiles & use only trade products (not the stuff sold in BnQ) the DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Before you go any further, I advise you do a lot more research starting with reading the Tiling Forum sticky & archive posts, you will find several threads in there regarding tiling floating floors & what you need to do.

cheers will look at stickies thanks for the advice wish i`d found this site earlier would`ve saved me a load of greif!

cheers will look at stickies thanks for the advice wish i`d found this site earlier would`ve saved me a load of greif!
Ahh well hind sight is a wonderful thing :LOL: . Also have a read back through the archive posts, as I said, you will find several threads in there about tiling onto floating floors; it should prevent you making any disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

If you need further clarification/advice on anything post back. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back