Floor tiling - coping with size variation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to lay some porcelain floor tiles. Thanks to lots of help on here I think I've finally got the preparation right, so I've just started dry laying the tiles to check the cut tile sizes, etc.

It's only now I realise just how much tiles can vary in size! I've got a mix of 600x400, 400x400, 400x200 and 200x200 (mm) tiles but the variation of up to 3mm on some is throwing me out a bit.

Every tip and video I can find just shows nice neat tiles being laid with spacers and nobody seems to mention how to cope when it doesn't all work neatly! Any advice? Is it just an art to correct as you go and not find it getting steadily worse?

Sponsored Links
sort ur tiles in sizes then use the bigger ones for around the edge of ur room..if its 3mm differance dry lay as u said, but u may have to start with a bigger spacer and then bring in down to match bigger tiles.

have u got a design layout?
if not you can download a pdf from..daltile.com..thats were i go if client has usually thrown it away by mistake... :LOL:

Thanks. All seems to be working OK. I'm using the 5mm spacers most places, but occasionally turn them sideways for a slightly smaller gap where needed. I'm using a straight edge and a bit of judgment as to what looks right.

I was expecting all to be exact rather than a bit of an art to getting it looking right if not perfect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back