Making damaged tile floor level help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My kitchen floor is convered with old style council tiles (dark brown thin ones) and when i lifted the old vinyl from the floor, i found around 40% of the tiles were shattered or cracked and were loose. Also there are areas where no tiles were covering the concrete as no adhesive was laid (just cement).

I want to either lay another vinyl covering temporarily and eventually lay laminate flooring over the tiles. The tiles are around 20cm by 20cm and are 3mm thick.

Would the best course of action be to try and replace the tiles, but so far i have not been able to find tiles this thin or perhaps lay thin mdf over the tiles and then vinyl/laminate over. I do not want to remove all the tiles/use floor levelling compound just yet, but may do in the future.

Any help would be great, thanks

Sponsored Links
The right thing to do would be to take up the tiles then use self levelling compound if the floor is not level. Anything else is a bit of a bodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back