Floor Tiling Process Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have my kitchen and utility floor to tile. It is approximately 30m2 in total.

The Substructure is a timber floor on top of joists.

The tiles are 600x900x15mm limestone tiles which i want to lay 1/3 bond on top of a ditra matt decoupling layer.

I have tiled a few small bathrooms previously but nothing as vast as this in one space.

Questions i have before i crack on;

1) Do i bed the ditra matt on 5mm flexible tile adhesive?
2) I have seen people then latex over the ditra matt and other tile directly onto it. What is best?
3) What size trowel is best to use?
4) I dont want to use rapid set as i am not a pro and its a large area. Is standard ok and how long should i allow to set before i can walk on it?
5) The front end is open to a living area so that needs to be in a set position. Is it best that i start on this straight line and work back into an escape route then complete the rest after the 1st section has set?

Cuts will be minimal, its basically a large rectangle with kitchen units along 1 of the long sides.

How good do i need to be to make this a success. I got a tiler in to do the bathroom as i didn't have time and thought i could have done just as good a job. I now have the option to do myself or sub out on the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Also what size joints would you recommend for this size tile? 5mm?

Hi Padstar,

I think you should just go for it!
You have tiled before, so you know what to expect...

I've not used the Ditra mat, but have used BAL rapid mat which does the same job. I would look at the fitting instructions for the Ditra, it probably advises you on the adhesive depth to use.

Big trowel for floor tiles ;) Are there recommendations on the tile box / instruction leaflet ?

The setting time and keep off time will be on the tile adhesive bag. Oh yeah - use powered adhesive not ready mix, especially with such large tiles.

Have you got an electric tile cutter ? You will need one for 15mm thick tiles.

Just do it yourself. Its not that hard.
It is easier to forgive yourself for little imperfections, rather then someone you have paid good money to !

5mm joints would be normal for floor tiles.

Thanks c-K. Given that there are minimal cuts and mainly to areas that would be covered by skirting or trims i was going to use a tile wheel for the angle grinder to make the cuts. This seems to be how i see most tilers doing larger format tiles? Is that the case?

Sponsored Links
Hi mate,

You might be able to successfully make neat cuts on large tiles with an angle grinder. I have used one to do a few small cuts before I bought the electric tile cutter, but not long cuts.
For the sake of £40-£50 I would recommend getting a proper electric tile cutter. I bought the Titan 500W one at Screwfix and it is good.

Cheers
Chris

I think i have one in the garage somewhere from previous times. I will see if I can locate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back