floor tiling round WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tile our bathroom floor with porcelain tiles that are about 10mm thick. I am also going to replace WC pan. At the moment the pan is set into the flooring, I guess previous owner put down new flooring and just trimmed around the pan base. It looks sort of messy.
Is the standard practice to have the new tiles underneath the pan base, so pan sits on top and with just a bead of sealant?

Sponsored Links
Don’t know what the pro’s do but with ours we cut out sufficient for the pan edges to sit on the tile underneath. Raising the floor level even slightly might affect the pan connector to soil pipe, and water inlet, connections but less of a problem if they are of a flexible type fitting.

Blup

Tile underneath, offset pan connector usually takes care of increase in level unless current has enough play in it.

What about sitting it on 12mm ply or something like that, then tiles cut to fit.
I forgot to mention, soil is being renewed as well as pan.

Sponsored Links
Not a bathroom fitter but have seen plenty of nice bathrooms including my own where the pan sits on top and looks really nice. Cutting round the pan to fit flooring sounds more bodged to me.

What about sitting it on 12mm ply or something like that, then tiles cut to fit.
I forgot to mention, soil is being renewed as well as pan.
Do as foxhole sugests and tile under the toilet, if your doing the soil, set it to the right height for the new toilet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back