Bathroom floor tiles. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

The dumbest UK DIYer has now registered with this great site!

For reasons of our own, we decided to take up the existing 200 x 200mm ceramic tiles in our Bathroom, having no real idea what we would replace them with.

Anyway I have now succeeded in taking most of the existing tiles up, except for four of them, which are located under the wc pan and basin pedesrtal.

Can anyone please tell me if it there is a failsafe method of cutting around the remaining tiles up to the edges of the wc & pedestal, as I am really scared that I will crack them up under the pan & pedestal, or worse still smash the pan & pedestal?

I am loathe to have the wc and basin removed, but I am guessing there really is no other option, as with them out of the way, it will also be far easier to lay the tiles (not by me).

I have some other questions but feel it best to tackle them one at a time.

I would appreciate any help from anyone, especially someone who has had the same DIY exercise.

Sponsored Links
Its possible to use an angle grinder complete with a thin stone cutting disc close to the pan, but nick it at your peril...... especially around the back! The best way is to remove the pan completely and if you replace your tiles with something of the same thickness then everything should go back together again well.
John :)

I agree. Toilets and sinks are not that difficult to take out (two screws usually, although they are probably rusted to hell). It is then much easier to tile underneath them (you don't have to worry about damaging the pan/pedestal or cutting curves out of new tiles to go round their bases) and you will get a much more professional finish.

When you put the toilet and pedestal back, get new screws with chrome tops which won't rust.

Good luck!

(And next time, consider tiling on top of the existing ones if they are sound and well-put on!)

Do you have a flexi hose fitted into your 110mm waste pipe from the pan.. ??

If so just turn water off to cistern..flush toilet...unscrew and lift pan out...
Remove tiles...
Refit pan and flexi hose..turn on water to cistern...heh presto..

Job done...

Sponsored Links
Ps
If you don't have a flexi pipe connected to your 110mm waste..just go out and buy one and then do the above from previous post and fit flexi....this will take up any height difference from floor to pan height... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back