Floorboard, glue or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to put engineered wood flooring, however the floorboards are creaking horribly.
Upon testing the floorboards and taking few out, I realised they need replacement, the wood is too dry, lifts at joist despite screws and creaks in tongue and groove sections as well.

So, I am about to order new floorboards and change everything. I have laid flooring before, but never floorboards. They come in variable length 2-5metres, and staggering them needs to be done carefully as the stubs are available equidistantly at every 45cm.

So I have two questions:

1. Should you stagger or lay the board at full length?

Obviously there would not be a groove to join boards vertically so if staggering, I would need to nail both ends of two adjecent boards, and joist stub is only 3cm wide, since boards are 2-5m it would be possible to stick then length wise across the room.

2. Should I use glue along with screws?

I found advice on using glue between tongue and groove, but I also saw advice on gluing to the joist.
Should you glue to the joist? This seams unsafe, and I will screw every board to joist either way.
Also which glue is suitable for tongue and groove, I have no more nail one for skirtings, but don’t know which one is suitable for flooring.

Sponsored Links
Are replacing the whole floor?

When you say the boards are too dry, what do you mean? Rot?

Why can't you lift the squeaky floor add a few noggins and screw back down?

I wouldn't glue - one day you will want to run something in the floor void.

Sponsored Links
Back