Floorboard screws and varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all.

Hopefully, this is a pretty simple one… I am renewing the floorboards in my dining room. I will varnish them after and that will be the finished floor. The boards are approx 3 meters long, by 1200mm across, and 21mm deep. I am wondering what screws to use. A mate has suggested floorboard screws. However, these seem quite hard to find, and seem to be especially made for tongue and groove flooring (as opposed to just plain floorboards). Does anyone have any suggestions of what screws to use? And also whether I would have to pilot?

I’m also wondering if anyone would have any tips on what varnish/colour to use. The boards are pine, but I am looking for a varnish that will protect the wood, but also take it to a very dark brown colour.

Many thanks and all tips/views will be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Why do you intend to screw the floorboards down?
If you are intending to fix through the tongue i.e. secret fixings then nails are probably better , easier qiucker and cheaper.
If you do have to surface fix then slotted will look the better option than pozis but really nails look even better still , much more of a tradional look to it.
I've just re-read your post and I think I understand that the boards are square edged rather than T&G so I'd still say go for nails.
Either way pilot at the ends at least for nails and for all fixings if you go down the screw route. Piloting for all nails is necessary if you use cut nails which do look very nice and tradional.
As to the finish I'm not a big fan of varnish on floors wax is probably a better option. There are people on this forum who make a living out of floor finishs who will be better able to advise than me so hopefully they will answer your query.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back