Varnishing reclaimed floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am due to lay some reclaimed pine floorboards and i am wondering about what varnish to use. I've seen the following varnishes recommended. Bona Mega Silk Matt or the Junckers Strong varnish. What are your thoughts? which Varnish would you recommend for a silk or mat finish that will make the floorboards splash proof (as much as possible). Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just a comment from me, but I did a ballroom floor once, and it was recommended to me to use a product called Bourne seal.
Years later, it still looks great!
I'm not sure if it's still available, but a replacement is called Gransglaze or something?
John :)

Yep, that's about it.....apparently it's very good for parquet floors and gymnasiums etc.
I'm sure there's countless other products, so it's maybe worth waiting for other comments!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've found this very
032035_R_Z001
durable on floorboards (and anywhere else for that matter)

Depends what level of wear you're expecting. Most varnish (or lacquer as it's normally referred to) manufacturers offer one pack and two pack systems. The one pack is as the name suggest you just open the container and pour straight out ready to roll onto the floor. These are cheaper and generally get used in light domestic spaces and by the buy-to-let brigade. The two pack systems like Bona Traffic comes as two containers (the lacquer and the hardener) that need to be mixed before rolling out. More expensive but much harder-wearing and get used in high-end residential and higher footfall areas like offices etc.

To go even tougher (and this would probably be overkill in a residential space) would be this one by Pallmann:
http://www.pallmann.co.uk/products/product-search/details/pall-x-zero-12818/

Whichever you choose, observe the manufacturers' coverage (litres per square meter) and number of coats recommendations - the chemical engineering is now so precise that if the build is too high (whether through coats that were too thick, or too many coats), you end up going over the peak performance curve and the lacquer can be prone to lifting or chipping!

And avoid the DIY stuff like Ronseal or cheaper brands like Blanchon - you may think you're saving two or three pounds a litre, but remember the bulk of the work is in the sanding and preparation. It's a false economy to save a few quid on cheaper coatings and then end up having to sand back and refinish every couple of years when the professional brands will easily give ten+ years of protection!

And avoid the DIY stuff like Ronseal or cheaper brands like Blanchon - you may think you're saving two or three pounds a litre, but remember the bulk of the work is in the sanding and preparation. It's a false economy to save a few quid on cheaper coatings and then end up having to sand back and refinish every couple of years when the professional brands will easily give ten+ years of protection!

I have no particular axe to grind for Ronseal, but I varnished all my sanded floorboards with Mattcoat 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Just saying.

I've found this very. durable on floorboards (and anywhere else for that matter)
I contacted Ronseal and they didn't recommend using the Mattcoat for floorboards. They say it aint hard-wearing enough. They recommend the diamond hard floor varnish.

The floorboards are going to run the entire downstairs including the kitchen so I it is important that the varnish is as hard-waring/splash proof as possible.

The two pack systems like Bona Traffic comes as two containers (the lacquer and the hardener) that need to be mixed before rolling out. More expensive but much harder-wearing and get used in high-end residential and higher footfall areas like offices etc.

To go even tougher (and this would probably be overkill in a residential space) would be this one by Pallmann:
http://www.pallmann.co.uk/products/product-search/details/pall-x-zero-12818/
Im thinking Bona Traffic might be the my favourite choice. I watched the Youtube video which says to wash tool after application with water so i assume it is water-based. I prefer water based varnishes because they keep the pine light coloured where solvent based varnish make it look darker

I've found this very. durable on floorboards (and anywhere else for that matter)
I contacted Ronseal and they didn't recommend using the Mattcoat for floorboards. They say it aint hard-wearing enough. They recommend the diamond hard floor varnish.

The floorboards are going to run the entire downstairs including the kitchen so I it is important that the varnish is as hard-waring/splash proof as possible.
As I said above, I've found it hard enough for anything, pretty much. Floorboards especially. In two houses. Diamond Hard is water-based and looks horribly plasticky

Anybody used the Bona DTS? It is supposed to enhance the natural tones of the wood and has a wet look. Anyone has experience with it and can share

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back