Flooring a garage loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to floor the loft area at the back on my garage - the ceiling of the utility room below.

I'm wondering what the thinnest material I can use for the job is? I can get two complete 8x4 sheets in there for the job as access is good.

11mm OSB?or 12mm ply?

18mm seems overkill as it will be used for light storage, although, I will need to climb right in there to insulate the rafters above at some stage...

The joists are 4x2's and are 400 mm apart. About 9 foot long, supported only by the block walls at each side of the garage, no supports in place.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ask yourself - will I be up there frequently (more than once a month)? If yes then 18mm ply is the way to go. Less than that then you may be able to use thinner material; just boldly and idelibly mark where the supporting joists are and only walk on those markings once in place.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
depends where you go. A place near me often has shuttering ply on clearance. A bit rough, but strong. Might be returned or overstock.

Thanks, I think I'll mark out the joists and go with the thinner material, I'll be up there once a year probably and can reach most things stored up there without climbing in.

It's not just the price of the wood, 18mm means more weight on the joist also and if I don't need it, why buy it?

You should insulate first, and ensure that the joists are extended so as to not crush the insulation

Believe me- once you floor it and get a couple of boxes up there you will never gat round to adding insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back