Flooring Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Afraid I’m asking for some advice again. Our builders are coming close to finishing our kitchen extension and we have scheduled to lay the floor before they install the kitchen. We are putting down reclaimed pine boards (nailed with brads into batons on the concrete floor) for the whole of downstairs and I’m now unsure if I should sand them before or after the kitchen goes in?

The boards are going to run the short way across the house and as you can see from the image, the kitchen will be quite narrow and the boards will run across it making sanding difficult. So we had planned to sand before the kitchen goes in and finish with Osmo oil. I’m now reading that we should let the Osmo breath for 10 days before covering it. This isn’t going to be easy since the builders will want to get back in to finish the project. I can't exactly ask them to take their shoes off.

I think we have two options:
• Lay the boards and sand the kitchen properly but to then protect the floor with plastic while the builders install the kitchen and finish the bathroom, oiling it once the builders leave (perhaps 3 weeks later)
• Lay the boards but only sand and finish the floor once the builders leave. This will mean we’ll have to only use the edger sander in the kitchen, and I might risk bashing into the new kitchen cabinets doing the job and I’m worried we won’t get such an even finish (I’m not an expert as you may already have guessed).

Does either make sense?
[net]Which sounds best?[/net]

Sponsored Links
Sand ready for finish and then cover over.

Finish done after all works complete, including painting.

Ps how you venting the cooker? I can see a clear air path front to back, fear sausages and grilled fish.

Thank you! Great simple answer!

Should we perhaps buff the floor when we peel off the protection before the oil?

I do have fears about the smells so we've gone for a bit of a beast of an extractor hood venting through the roof.

May have to stick to barbecuing fish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back