Dirt in scratches on wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to remove dirt in the scratches on our Pine floor
The floor boards were sanded down a while ago and finished with
Osmo Polyx oil finish
All looked great for a while but now in the higher traffic areas and near the doors you can see that dirt has settled in the scratches
Some of these scratches are from the Sanding
Others are from the Dogs claws
We dont want a perfect mirror finish but i would like advice on how to
proceed
I was looking at getting a floor scrubber / Buffer

Ideas anyone

Sponsored Links
my 2p worth

re sand again.

as you pointed out its a high traffic area, so it will get scratched more than other areas, there is nothing you can do other than wear slippers all the time.

i have been to a school, (working) the main hall has genuine parquet floors (as they did / do) looking at it it is covered in scrathes dents etc, but as its all over the place you dont notice untill you look closely, seen the same in old hoses too.

any oil / wax you put on the floor "feeds" the timber it can not protect it from something "sharp" or stilleto heels (not that i wear them (when working) you understand) :LOL:

So they wont " Polish " out then

Should i finish it with a tough Satin Varnish instead of the Oil
Would that help ??

as i said its only my 2 p worth

any varnish will soon wear away too, since it is just a coat, how fast it wears will depend on what is wearing it

wait and see if wood-you-like replies, she knows her onions

Sponsored Links
you cant seal with a varnish after the flooring has already been waxed or oiled. By the sounds of it , if dirt is getting stuck in sanding marks :eek: you really need to get the floor re sanded correctly. You shouldn't be able to see these let alone have dirt stuck in them. You could strip the floor back with a cleaner and stiff brush. I would not know what brand to say tho as the stuff i use is really a trade/professional cleaner and stripper and not something you can buy over the counter. Woody may be able to advice of a diy cleaner for you.

What is the best way to remove dirt in the scratches on our Pine floor
Pine boards, that says it all in fact. Soft wood. Will keep marking whatever finish you apply to it. HardWaxOil is a good finish, small damages are easier to repair local than with a varnish finish (and indeed, you can't apply a varnish straight over the oil finish)

Vacuum clean thoroughly - using a soft broom works better sometimes - and use a wood cleaning soap to clean the boards thoroughly (not washing-up or other detergent!!!). In the deeper scratches apply some hardwax to keep the wood protect. Let everything dry.
Apply a proper maintenance product the day after. And apply the maintenance product every 5 - 6 months, in heavy traffic areas sooner.

(Very deep scratches you could sand locally, apply a new coat of hardwaxoil there and when that's cures sufficiently - 10 days - apply maintenance product over the whole floor)

All in all it small marks and damages do add character to your wooden floor ;)

but you are not French, its a compliment to you, the fact you "know your onions"

Just kidding Breezer ;)

(I'm long enough here to recognise an onion - i.e. compliment - when I see - read- one)

Thank you ;)

Others are from the Dogs claws

Ah, dogs on polished wooden floors, great fun. Mine's like one of those cartoon characters that can't 'take a bend', legs going twenty to the dozen trying to change direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back