staining wood floor 6 months after Osmo Polyx?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi from a newbie!

I'm asking this on behalf of my OH really - he sanded the floor in the dining room 6 months ago, and used 2 coats of Osmo Polyx. It looks ok, but we'd both prefer it to have a bit more colour. He's about to sand the floor in the adjoining room, and we're going to buy a stain (mid-oak colour) for that, then finish it with Polyx (as we bought 2 huge tins, so still have loads left!)

Question is: can we (he!) apply the same stain over the top of the Polyx on the dining room floor, then re-Polyx, or will he need to resand the dining room then stain & Polyx?

The aim is to get the 2 floors similar (ish) in colour

Many thanks!

Vik

Sponsored Links
You cannot add a colour after your floor has been treated with natural hardwaxoil. The colour has to be applied in the first coat.

You cannot add a colour after your floor has been treated with natural hardwaxoil. The colour has to be applied in the first coat.

Hi WoodYouLike,

so as we've already treated it, would we need to remove the oil, colour, then re-apply?

thank you

Hmm, I would think that to be a waste of time, materials etc, but if you want to change the colour then sanding is the only options.
Be aware that the hardwaxoil has penetrated the wood rather deeply so the colour in the resanded room might still look different than on the 'new' wood.

Sponsored Links
This may help, we had a customer with a similar problem. They managed to mix up some universal stainers (available in 10 different shades) and then add them into the hardwax oil. You must be careful not to add more than 5% by volume but this may be a way to avoid having to sand the floor. IMO definitely worth a try.

Not sure if it would disperse properly. I'd double check with Osmo technical dept.

Our customer added universal stainers to the Hardwax Oil and applied a thin coat over two existing coats and it worked out fine.

The good thing about the universal stainers is that they live up to their name, just be careful with the mixing ratios!

great advice, thanks Wf1877

any suggestions where i can buy the universal stainers products?

You should be able to pick them up at your local paint store, sometimes they are called Kolorit stainers.

If you have no luck then you can buy them at www.frenchpolishes.com click on Ratcliffe's products in the shop area and then scroll down.

Hope it all works out.[/url]

thanks again for your advice, I'll post and update once it's done to let you know if it works...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back