OSMO Polyx Oil on new flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of advise please. We've laid a new oak floor in the living room which has been stained and then 2 coats of OSMO polyx oil added. After a week we've as careful as possible tried to put our furniture back in but any slight scrape on the floor is resulting in white flakes coming up from the oil. I believed after 24 hours it should be dry and that it's hard wearing.
I know it takes a while to cure but we can't live without the room for a month! Any advise on if our expectations are incorrect and also what we can do to rectify the marks we have now made. TIA

Sponsored Links
Josp
sorry not seen that before with Omso except from when applied to a wood that does not soak in the osmo. Does yours look like this were it was applied to Cedar:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/removing-osmo.503800/

So possible issues are
1) You have applied the Osmo too thick. Osmo should be applied very thinnly, almost wiped on, wipe off any excess, x 2. I have heard of some horror stories where people have painted it on like varnish and it not drying.

or

2) Your first stain coat has sealed the wood and so the osmo is drying ontop and now pealing off rather than soaking into wood.

Regarding remedies (https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/osmo-oil-on-wooden-tabletop.508234/#ixzz5pmfvV3Sa), the Osmo site says
Over application - a maximum of two thinly applied brushed coats is recommended. Thick applications results in very little or no penetration, whilst excess application leaves surplus oil to remain on the surface. Over-application not only extends the drying time, but also creates a tacky surface in which the detriments are the additional attraction of dust, dirt and lint - as well as the surface becoming more susceptible to scratches and wear more quickly.
Remedy: allow for extra ventilation and remove excess application immediately with a clean and dry cloth. If the excess has already dried, the use of methylated spirit helps to degrease the surface from the excess and further helps should sanding be necessary.

Questions
- How thickly did you apply the two coats?
- What was the stain?

SFK

Last edited:
Liberon spirit wood dye was used and was recommended by the timber merchants that supplied the wood along with using the Osmo. We have used just under 2.5l tin for 2 coats of a room size of 27m2.

Also the floor is not tacky at all, and wasn't after 24 hours.

Perhaps it's a bit thick... did you use sparingly..?

I used Fiddes Hard Wax Oil (similar to Osmo) on solid oak floor, 2 coats and used just under 2.5L for around 55 sq m.

Can't you sand back the scratches slightly with scotch pad and reapply oil with rag/brush?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back