Staining Osmo wood filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've sanded my landing floorboards and have found some damage I'd like to fill. I'm using Osmo stain and polyx oil, which are good products, so I got their natural wood filler after talking to Osmo.

Having tested a bit of off cut floorboard it looks awful after staining, quite obvious. Anyone any experience of staining Osmo filler using Osmo products?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Fillers can be tricky when staining! Either try changing the filler or the Hardware Oil. For the filler, Bona make Mix and Fill and Blanchon make Resin Filler. Broadly the same and for either of them, you essentially mix the sanding dust from the final sanding with the liquid into a paste and press into gaps. Both only good up to a few millimetres and only on boards that are on a solid substrate (if boards are on joists, the movement will work the dried filler loose, and if the boards aren't tongue and groove, filler will just drop through). For larger gaps or joist floors, use wood slivers.

For the oil, try Treatex Colour Tone and then two coats of clear (matt or satin) Hardwax Oil. Way more durable than Osmo's Polyx oil and cures with a much more natural look than the Polyx oil which also tends to "warm" the colour of the wood up and leaves a visible coating appearance.

Thanks.
Yes they're a big pain!
On another floor I tried the sawdust method and it dried really dark. This seems to be really light...
Osmo technical said today because it's a tint I need to apply with a cloth and just build it up as there's not much pigment in their tints.
I just want to finish the bloody job!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back