Staining sanded parquet before oiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have extended a room and kept part of the old parquet floor, and in the extended area laid reclaimed parquet blocks. It is now all sanded flat, but is very pale in colour. The original floor was quite dark. I don't know what the wood is. I have Osmo Polyx Clear Satin hard wax oil at the ready, but presume that when this is applied there will be very little change in colour. Does anyone know whether the parquet can be stained or dyed before applying the hard wax oil?

Sponsored Links
Sanded wood always looks paler than after applying even a natural finish. Trick of the trade: wet a small area (little bit of water or even a wetted finger) to see what it will look like after a natural finish is applied.

There are plenty of coloured HardWaxOils around, you can even decide to apply one coat colour (always the first coat) and apply a natural HWO as second coat to tone down a colour.

Many thanks, WoodYouLike. I appreciate there are coloured hard wax oils available but it would cost me 20 quid to return my Clear Satin and then reorder the new colour. Interesting tip you've given me about the wet finger - I think I had better sand some test blocks and see how dark it goes with the clear oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back