Messed Up Hardwood Parquet Floor With Osmo PolyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We installed reclaimed parquet floor and spent about £500 sanding this down. It was teak and oak finger parquet

We applied osmo hardwax oil and the result is that it looks patchy and bloomy. We applied two coats of oil about four weeks ago and have left it to cure. When we damp it with a mop it looks fine and lovely but it appears very dry and not nice

We had an osmo rep come out to inspect and I must admit he knew very little - He claimed that we should have used extra thin oil - Fine. But its a little bit too late now

Does anyone know what can be done - We have applied osmo floor wax cleaner and there are still noticeable white patches

Are we able to put any sort of oil on top of the hardwax? Would white spirit remove the hardwax oil layer so we can apply some pure floor oil from rustkins?

Help very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
don't apply any HardWaxOil over it again. The oil in the HWO hasn't had time enough to penetrate the wood (especially the teak) to do its work before the wax in the HWO started to do its work.

Best would be to apply a maintenance polish which will reduce the patchy look after a while.

don't apply any HardWaxOil over it again. The oil in the HWO hasn't had time enough to penetrate the wood (especially the teak) to do its work before the wax in the HWO started to do its work.

Best would be to apply a maintenance polish which will reduce the patchy look after a while.

we did that already - we used osmo wax cleaner liquid and not much of a difference. At the moment the wood looks very dry and patchy

I do not think I used enough of the oil because I managed to do about 40 35 square metres in two coats and still had about 10% of the 2.5 litre product

whats wrong with applying a third coat?

It has nothing to do with applying too much HWO, it has to do with the Teak being "oily" on its own (hence the correct suggestion - too late however - of the rep to use a thin oil for the first coat instead of HWO).

Cleaner liquid is something quite different than the polish I recommend. The polish will start to reduce the patchy look

Sponsored Links
It has nothing to do with applying too much HWO, it has to do with the Teak being "oily" on its own (hence the correct suggestion - too late however - of the rep to use a thin oil for the first coat instead of HWO).

Cleaner liquid is something quite different than the polish I recommend. The polish will start to reduce the patchy look

Can you suggest where to buy this from in the shops?

Leyland SDM / Bandq etc?

We really need it for tomorrow

Don't know about shops, you can order online and you might have it on Monday (if you order now, so we can dispatch it by Royal Mail tomorrow)

The Osmo one removes fat - i.e wax which you applied with the HWO

The polish cleans, without removing fat, and feeds the surface

The Osmo one removes fat - i.e wax which you applied with the HWO

The polish cleans, without removing fat, and feeds the surface

From reading the osmo product sheet :

Both cleans and regenerates the wood, as well as providing necessary waxes without building a film layer

So this product feeds the surface as well

I am reluctant to buy something which is a miracle cure so can you help me understand what this product does and HOW it is different to the osmoi product - Are you also saying that Osmo do not produce what you are selling in this bottle?

You started off with the wrong product on your floor. On tropical wood species you should not apply a first coat of HWO, but a thin oil first - followed by a coat of HWO.
Time and polish will settle things down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back