Hardwax Oil On Parquet Flooring - Patchy Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We decided to sand with belt sander and trio sander reclaimed parquet flooring. In one room it appears that half the room was in teak and the other in oak.

After sanding really carefully and applying two very thin layers of osmo there are some patchy areas and it does not look 'right'. We tried to clean it with osmo wash and care and no difference. I have noticed that when the floor is damp with a mop the floor looks lovely but after it dries it develops the patchy areas again and does not look beautiful.

I am confused as to whether I should

1) Resand (yet again) and then go with laquer
2) Try the osmo liquid wax cleaner which is suggested for inital care - I wonder if the inital care means after applying hardwax oil
3) Do maintenace which I hope I have understand and means adding some wax polish

If I go for (3) can anyone suggest a wax polish I can use? Is Briwax clear suitable for example and any way I can get the floor to stay more glossy??

Your help much appreciated because after the cost of laying / sanding and oil I have spent about 1K on this project with not satisfactory results and in hindight maybe I should have got carpet !!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi!

I read your post and I thought that the right desicion is to call the company that installed and sanded your floor, ask them for an advice.I used their services twice and I am very satisfied with the results. Plus I already recommended them to some of my friends that had a similar problem like yours and they were able to help them. I can give you their coordination if you want? Good luck!

This is the first forum I have come across where people pimp out their services.

From Wood You Like selling her miracle wax cleaner to Mister Sander selling a friends sanding service

I came on this forum for help from fellow colleagues not the yellow pages

As far as I can see, no one else gave you a solution to your question. I am not selling a friend's business, just tried to help you with some info... I saw what Wood you Like wrote you and it is far more than a promotion of her product...he/she explained very well the situation and gave you an adequate solution to it. If you have asked for advice from professionals in first place, we wouldn't be talking right now.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see, no one else gave you a solution to your question. I am not selling a friend's business, just tried to help you with some info... I saw what Wood you Like wrote you and it is far more than a promotion of her product...he/she explained very well the situation and gave you an adequate solution to it. If you have asked for advice from professionals in first place, we wouldn't be talking right now.

My solution was that not enough hardwax oil had been used. So I was recommended by Osmo to apply a third and fourth coat.

And it looks beautiful now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back