Help wanting an ebony black floor stain, these products??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have some unfinished white oak, I would like to stain this a really dark ebony.

this is for a landing and up the stairs. the reason I want this really dark is because I do not want it anything like the light colour I will have downstairs, and to look like I have tried to sort or match it.

I am looking at a sort of oiled finish please. I know that with some stain`s, first you stain, then when dry you use an oil wax? is this correct. I would like to use the same brand stain/oil/wax for compatibility reasons please.

can anyone who has used the following, comment on if they are the right products, if not can they point me to an ebony solution please.

Bona Parquet Decor Wood Stains, I take it I use there oil afterwards. they also to a primer for bare wood? is it a must?

Osmo ebony Wood Wax Finish 0.75 This range is massive, I dont know if this is for bare floors and if its a stain wax all in one, I have been on there website, but the menu on the left and the product range is massive. what else would I need?

can anyone help with the ebony stain advise please.

Thank you people.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Hi Darren
First apply a single coat of Bona Parkett Decor Ebony. This is an oil based product which absorbs into he wood to give the colour. After about 20 minutes remove any excess from the surface and apply a thin coat of Bona Carl's Hardwax Oil.

As all stains will give slightly different colours give them a call as they will supply a small sample to see if you like the colour.
Regards
TT

Just a second thought.

As the colour you require is very different from the original colour you may find that oil based stains will not give you the intensity of colour change you require. You may be better off with a spirit based stain which is much harder to put down but will give you the colour change you require. If you go down this route you would probably be better off using a water based lacquer like Mega on top of the stain to protect it.

Regards
TT

Thank you very much for this,

Who (What) brands do a nice spirit based ebony, is there and links? do I not use a hard wax on this? what is this mega? you use a water base over the spirit base?

Thank you

Darren

Sponsored Links
Hi Darren
Not sure I could call any solvent based stain "nice" as they all stink to high heaven. Colron is a well known brand but there are lots of generics out there. Let the stain dry for 24 hours then overcoat with a waterbased lacquer like Bona Mega (3 coats) and you will have a floor that looks great for years. I don't see why you cannot overcoat solvent stain with hardwax oil, it's just I have never done it.
If you are happy with a "darkened in the grain" look stick with BonaKemi Parkett Decor and then Bona Hardwax Oil.

If you want a really dark look to the floor I did a floor with black line marking paint and then overcoated it with waterbased lacquer. Not for everyone but the client was happy.

Not supposed to give out web sites so just try Googling it

Regards
TT

Thank you. yes I want it quite dark almost black.

You have given me some good ideas, Ill google the brands;

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back