staining a wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We've recently sanded & oiled/waxed a pine floor. It was originally quite a dark brown colour around the edges of the room from what presumably was the original 1930s stain & many years of grime & wear, & paler in the middle where a rug/carpet would have been. Now it's all clean and smooth it's an incredibly bright orange. I'd really like to bring it back to the darker, browner colour it was.

Unfortunately, we've applied the hardwaxoil finish already, and as far as I can tell the only option now would be to resand the whole thing, stain the wood, and then oil/wax again.

Does anyone know if there's any other way of colouring the floor without having to do this - i.e., is there something that we could apply to the floor as it is, or is there a way of removing the wax finish without resanding? (I don't really want to use any kind of varnish.

thanks for your help,

Louise

Sponsored Links
Pine does have the tendency to turn orangy when a natural finish is applied (hwo or varnish).
Applying a third coat of hardwaxoil in a colour might do the trick here - but be vary careful, try it out in a small area to see how it reacts and apply as thinly as possible. Rub in the new layer as best as possible so the wax also can do its work. The oil in the hwo might have some problems penetrating the two other coats.
If that doesn't work you have to remove the wax with white spirit and try it again. If all else fails then you will have to re-sand.
Use a colour from the same brand as the original hwo.

I've done several floors that when the h/wax oil finish has been applied the customer has decided (after choosing the finish in the first place) they want it a little darker, using morrells woodstain, i've applied it directly on top of the h/wax oil and the stain has taken correctly, then applied a furthe coat of h/wax oil, saves resanding and sealing thats for sure.
But i would recommend trying it over a small test area just in case.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back