Re-staining freshly sanded and stained pine floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

As part of our renovations we reclaimed our old (1930s) pine floorboards and have relaid them as a floor finish. Today we had them sanded and stained. Very happy about the work, just don't like the colour that we chose!! Far too light and yellow. It's a water based stain and then (*I think*) a water based clear over the top, both satin.

Question is, would we be ok applying another darker stain without having it sanded again? We'd apply in the same way: darker stain and then clear.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When you say water bases clear over the top, I asume you mean a varnish; in which case it's need to be sanded. But try a test in a corner, and see how you get on.

Thanks Doggit. I'm assuming a varnish so probably is the case. We've just figured that if we try it and doesn't work it'd need sanding anyway. If we try and does work then we're lucky.

Is the problem that the new stain wouldn't penetrate the varnish through to the grain?

Basically yes, but as it's a water based varnish, it can get ruined by water, and may get ruined by the stain. As such it's not so good for a floor where water may get spilled. Find the stain you want, and then use yacht varnish for a damned good hard wearing surface.

Sponsored Links
water won't penetrate water based varnish once it has dried/cured, water is just the solvent for the varnish.
Boner is one of the flooring industry's best floor finishes and is water based.
It depends what you want to use, if you use a tinted varnish such as sikkens or similar then you might be able to just give it a light sand and then put it on. Be aware that putting tinted varnish over another colour, might not give you the colour you expect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back