Pitch pine parquet - finishing advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

After repairing our uncovered pitch pine parquet floor using reclaimed blocks I'm now at the sanding stage and thinking of the finish. I will fill with filler gel - is there any difference between the brands? (I'm thinking of using Jenkins.) Lacquer v hard wax oil has been debated on here many times and I think I'll go with hard wax oil. Again, is there a huge difference between brands as I was thinking of using Fiddes? For the hard wax oil I just need a clear finish i.e no colour stain.

I'm hoping to keep the wood as natural a colour as possible but someone else on here mentioned their pitch pine parquet had an orange tinge to it and were recommended to use softwood lye to lighten it. I think ours is the same but I have no knowledge on this product and how it is used - can anyone enlighten me? (sorry pun not intended.)

Finally, the room is approx 11m2 - so I think I'll need a 1L filler gel but what about the quantities of hard wax oil and the softwood lye?

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

Matthew

Sponsored Links
On pine we normally recommend to use Golden Oak HardWaxOil (Blanchon) to prevent the pine turning orange but not to darken the wood too much. Many of our clients report great results back on this.

For 11 sq m in two coats you need just a bit over 1 ltr HWO (we also do 0.25 ltr tins)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back