parquet floor finish - newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i have a parquet floor in my living room (wooden finger block style) and its getting a bit dirty, shabby and losing its richness. Its a kinda beechy teak. finish and not varnished.

I now want to get it looking its best. My plan is as follows

1) Hire floor scrubber (its a big living room) to clean the wood of all dirt etc. Is there any particular pad/brush fitting i need to be aware of?
2) Use HG PE solution to add to scrubber tank. Is this necessary? or will stock solution do.
3) The finish. Use OSMO hardwax oil and apply two coats

As far as i know no maintenance products have been applied since i bought the house. so perhaps its needs a refresh.

can anyone provide nay advice or pearls of wisdom on the above. much appreciated.

ta

Sponsored Links
simon75uk said:
3) The finish. Use OSMO hardwax oil and apply two coats

HardWaxOil should only be used on unfinished wood, not for what you are planning to do.

simon75uk said:
As far as i know no maintenance products have been applied since i bought the house. so perhaps its needs a refresh.

can anyone provide nay advice or pearls of wisdom on the above. much appreciated.

ta

Try cleaning a small part first with a 'polish remover' to see the result. If that works clean the whole floor with a 'buffing machine'. Then apply maintenance product (als try out a tiny spot first to see if you have to correct products, since you don't really know what materials have been used?) Liquid wax might do the trick.

thanks WYL

thought that as my the floor was not varnished then this means unfinished? looks like it was oiled some time ago and its worn away in patches i,.e. there are difference sin the surface colour where there is more wear, some areas are darker than others.

is the osmo stuff still not to be used ? if so where can i get liquid wax?

oh and just to check, buffer is the scrubber/polisher machine you can hire from p0laces such as hss hire ?

Hi simon

I think your floor has been oiled/waxed after it was installed, but not maintained properly. Cleaning it properly would get rid of dirt etc, applying maintenance would re-insteat proper wear-and-tear protection. Come to think of it, perhaps it's better to apply so-called maintenenace oil after you have cleaned it. although it takes longer to dry, it would be better in this case. After that you have to maintain it once every 5 - 6 months with (liquid) wax/polish to keep it healthy.

HSS machine sounds fine to me.
See my profile for maintenance prod etc.

Sponsored Links
thanks again WYL,
just done a quick search on maintenance oil on your site and others and seems liberon floor maintenance oil might do the trick as a one off and then get hold of some of that liquid wax/polish to top it u- every 5-6 months.

thanks again for sound advice

one more thing,

will i need to buff it at all after applying the oil? or just leave to dry and thats it?
ta

simon75uk said:
one more thing,

will i need to buff it at all after applying the oil? or just leave to dry and thats it?
ta

We normally do that, to speed up things, but make sure you use the right soft pad for that.

hi again!

just a quick query

what is the difference between the maintenance oil and liquid wax?

ta

Maintenance oil is normally used when the oil/wax finished floor isn't maintaned properly, to give the floor finish a boost without having to sand.
(Liquid) wax/polish is for regular miantenance (once very 5 - 6 months, or more in areas with 'heavy traffic' e.g. hallways).

thanks WYL,

in terms buffing with a machine and the type of pad to use, which pad should i make sure i get ?

ta

Well, every manufacturer has it's own colour scheme ;-(

If you go to a proper hire shop, ask if they have 'screening mesh discs'. You can use them to get rid of most of the dirt and excess oil/wax build-up on your floor. If they have that, get a rough pad to keep the mesh disc in place under the buffing machine. If you're floor is very dirty start with mesh grit 80 and follow that with grit 120. If not so dirty, use 120 only. NB use only when treating a oiled/waxed floor, DON'T use on lacquered floors!

Apply the oil with a brush (would be handy if the hire shop also have those).
Buff the oil after applying with a medium pad (all manufacturers seem to have their own colour coding I'm afraid.) to spread the oil evenly and to absorb any excess oil.

Then use a white pad for final buffing.

See here for advice on regular maintenance

yeah seen lots of different colours on these pads! as its not so filthy just some dirt and marks then this grit 120 will be best.

did some research on the oil and how best to apply it is with stockinette roll ? seen it in b and q.

ok so now my plan has updated!.

1) hire buffer and use 120 grit pad to clean floor. SHOULD I USE A MILD DETERGENT as well with THIS? lay down on fllor or apply int he buffers solution tank? or not bother with solution?

2)apply oil using brush.rag etc. dry. then buff with 120 pad.

3) buff with white pad

job done?

as a newbie all advice is always appreciated!

simon75uk said:
1) hire buffer and use 120 grit pad to clean floor. SHOULD I USE A MILD DETERGENT as well with THIS? lay down on fllor or apply int he buffers solution tank? or not bother with solution?

NO, don't use detergent. Just use the screening mesh disc. If any residue is still left, then use some cleaner (but stay away from normal household mild detergents, cause most of the material that protects your floor will have gone now and those 'mild' detergent can have disastrous effects then.) Mind you use a damp cloth, not wet when applying any cleaner.

simon75uk said:
2)apply oil using brush.rag etc. dry. then buff with 120 pad.

Don't use a screening mesh pad for buffing new finish. Use medium coarse pad (brown or whatever colour coding they use, ask hire shop) after applying the oil to spread the oil and speed up the drying time

simon75uk said:
3) buff with white pad

job done?

Yes, it should be ;)
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back