Reclaimed floor boards or new?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’re having a side return extension built to our semi-detached house (built 1901) to widen the kitchen, and knock through to the dining room. The dining room and hall currently have the original pitch pine tongue & groove boards sanded and oiled, I would like to achieve the same in the kitchen.
The kitchen currently has boards with plywood on top with tiles overlay. I’ve been under the crawl space in the kitchen and the boards look sound from underneath. I want to remove the tiles and plywood, then sand back and oil these boards. Then...
I would hope to buy reclaimed boards to fit to the extension and achieve a seemless floor between hall, kitchen, New half of kitchen and dining room. Does this sound difficult to achieve? Our builder wasn’t convinced that finding the right boards would be easy? Could I achieve the same with new boards?
Any advice gratefully received!
Thank you

Sponsored Links
The best advice, is to go hunting for the boards; only then will you know if it's achievable, but looking for T&G pitch pine may be even more difficult. And no, you won't get a good match with new boards, as the beauty of pitch pine, is the closeness and irregularity of the grain. It would be a shame to get rid of the pitch pine, but if you want a complete match over the whole floor, that might be your only solution, but you might make someone else very happy.

Thank you.

Would boards from a 1930s house tie in okay do you think?

Mine are like the photo attached...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 89
They'd very likely match in okay, but you won't get the nice patterns that the pitch pine has.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your help Doggit.
The 1930s ones are like this photo - is this just a standard pine floor?

Attachments

• 4B012F3D-7822-49CC-A372-38B731818669.jpeg
    4B012F3D-7822-49CC-A372-38B731818669.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 78

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back