Flooring in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to decide on the best option here, having a new kitchen fitted which will be built on concrete subfloor. Im looking at laying luxury vinyl click type tiles so easy to fit.

Id prefer to do this myself after they have been BUT im getting integrated appliances and i dont want to go through the hassle of removing said appliances to fit flooring underneath the built in dishwasher/washing machine etc.

This leaves me with the issue of a lip in the floor if i ever need to remove an appliance for servicing/repair.

So whats my best option? I think the LVT tiles are about 8-10mm with underlay, would they cause a massive issue to remove appliances if the appliance was on the concrete subfloor? The thing is i could remove these click tiles to get it out worst case?

The issue with flooring under the appliances is it will be harder to change flooring in the future as ill have to remove all 3 integrated appliances to fit the new floor.

Anyone any idea what the best option is?? Raising the base unit legs to allow more space to tilt the appliance maybe?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's the problem you think it is. Integrated appliances have adjustable feet. I've had 3 kitchens with raised floors (real wood, laminate etc) that terminates under the kickboards. Just lower the appliance and wiggle.

However, if you're planning to fit after the kitchen is installed, all the kickboards will need trimming to fit under the units, as the fitters will cut to current floor level. That is a pain to do.

Minor point - if you're gonna raise your floor by 10mm, your effectively lowering the worktops by 10mm. So if you're aiming for a worktop height of 910mm, it'll end up 900mm. Maybe you don't care about final height but if you do, tell the fitters to account for this?

I don't think it's the problem you think it is. Integrated appliances have adjustable feet. I've had 3 kitchens with raised floors (real wood, laminate etc) that terminates under the kickboards. Just lower the appliance and wiggle.

However, if you're planning to fit after the kitchen is installed, all the kickboards will need trimming to fit under the units, as the fitters will cut to current floor level. That is a pain to do.

Minor point - if you're gonna raise your floor by 10mm, your effectively lowering the worktops by 10mm. So if you're aiming for a worktop height of 910mm, it'll end up 900mm. Maybe you don't care about final height but if you do, tell the fitters to account for this?
The worktop height wont affect me its only 1cm difference.

The kitchen fitter said they are happy to cut plinths after the flooring is laid. Theoretically they could take 10mm off them before i do the flooring aslong as i know the flooring im going to buy?

So looked again at the vinyl click.

Its 5mm WITH underlay, so shouldent be too much of an issue to lift over should it?

Lots and lots of people online all say to take flooring into the space but seems pointless if i can get appliance out.

Sponsored Links
Remove appliances and fit underneath , anything else is a bodge.
Do you not think 5mm will be easy enough to hitch over? Or even remove the click boards IF NEEDED FOR REPAIR.

Problem with pulling appliances out after fitting to fit the floor is if i ever need to change flooring id have to remove all 3 appliances and refit again to refit the new floor. Id also need to remove all 3 appliances just after fitting to fit the floor in the first place aswell?

If a jobs worth doing.etc. etc.
Yes but see above.

To fit the flooring under the appliance i will need to remove 3 appliances to fit it.

If i then ever change the floor i will again need to remove 3 appliances to fit it.

How hard will it be to get an appliance over 5mm thick flooring realistically?

If i cant i can remove the click vinyl boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back