Flooring in new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently in the process of having our kitchen and dining room knocked into one and currently looking at ideas for flooring. Considered tiling it, but there's these old what appear to be vinyl tiles on the concrete floor, which have been down since the house was built in the 1950's and I have been told that these tiles may contain asbestos and thought it best to leave them alone and I'm not too sure if we could tile over them. So we're now exploring other avenues. Need around 17m2 and ideally don't want to pay more than £500 for the flooring but would like something that could take the rough and tumble of being in a kitchen and last and look good! Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I'm far from an expert (in fact not at all!) but my own research into this (was in the same situation) is that you can very much tile on top of these.

You could I suppose even get screed on and put it over the top of them.

The tiles are not licensable work though I dont believe, and I personally took my own out.

If you decide to go down this avenue (and its your personal choice of course whether you feel it is a risk or not) just take proper precautions - i.e.:

- Wet the floor thoroughly for at least 30 minutes before taking any flooring out.
- Wear a dust mask and disposable clothing.
- Remove the tiles, trying not to break them if possible.
- Put them into double bags.
- Dispose with as your council instructs (either collection or at the tip, your local council website will be able to advise).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back