Flooring quote too high?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have just had a quote from a local independent flooring firm and it feels very expensive to me, but I would be interested to hear if I am being unreasonable or not.

Hallway of 2.5m x 2.0m with Project Floors distressed smoked oak going onto existing tiles. Was told there needs to be a screed laid down.

Here is it:
To supply and fit Project Floors distressed smoked oak to the hallway laid in the herringbone design with a border. Including the floor preparation £860.00 inc VAT

This works out at £172 per sqm.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Have you got two other quotes from other flooring companies to compare ?

Sponsored Links
Are the tiles on a solid floor? Screed + flooring is going to raise the level a bit. Or does this include removing the tiles?

@johnny2007: I asked the supplier, but did not yet hear back as yet.
@jonbey: Yes, tiles are on solid floor. They said screed will add + 3mm to floor. Tiles will stay beneath new flooring.

It all depends on the floor price.
It can be laid onto tiles if they're straight, in fact 3mm screed will crumble and make a mess.

If do a price if it helps mate.

So 5m2 nett.
thats 2 boxes. 6.7m2 of Project herringbone
‘prices include vat

Materials -

2 packs PF £233.45
Adhesive £15
2 units Ardex NA screed & Primer £60

Doortrims standard add £6 per door way.

labour

prime & screed subfloor £144
Laying of LVT in herringbone with border £240

total £692.45

@dazlight I'm really sorry for not coming back to you. I was never notified that you had posted on this thread.

Thank you for your input, it does help.. maybe the local firm wasn't too far off with the price. They never got back to me though, so guess they didn't need the work.

Once things get back to normal, I will look again at sorting the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back