Herringbone Parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have recently moved and are currently sourcing builders etc for a planned extension. My previous house had parquet flooring, we are looking to put this in to the new house. I know its not cheap but following a visit today I have received a quote, details of which are below. Total sqm around 35-38sqm.

I know that costs can vary depending on quality of product and area of the country (Essex, by the way)

Would anyone like to hazard a guess (better still, give an opinion on the cost that should be charged).

I understand that there are multiple variables (we have a screed floor) - you however could consider this to be reasonably basic in shape. There will be no border, the skirting will be removed as will the current tiles/laminate....

Any advice would be much welcomed, especially from those who do this for a living....

How much then

LOUNGE AND HALL

Uplift & Dispose Of Existing Floating Flooring.
Apply 1 Coat Of Wakol D3055 Primer To Improve Adhesion Of All Types Of Sub Floor For All Types Of
Wakol Adhesive.
Supply & Install 12mm WBP Plywood Glued With 'Adesive' PL6 2 Part Adhesive & Weighted To The
Existing Concrete Sub Floor.
Supply & Install Palladio Parquet - European Oak Prime Grade Parquet Battens - 350mm x 70mm x
10mm - (FSC 100% SA-COC-003826) Laid In A Herringbone Design (Tumbled & Distressed) Glued,
Pinned & Rolled To The Plywood Sub Floor.
Supply & Install Oak Flat Bead 25mm x 5mm - Unfinished To Front and Rear Doors.
Sand Flooring To A Fine Finish Including Filling And Apply One Coat Of Junckers Baseprime & Three Coats Of Bona Mega Silk Matt Lacquer.

Sponsored Links
apologies, they sent various quotes, ignore the 'tumbled and distressed' element - I have a quote without this process ;)

tone123,
If you are so keen to get prices from professionals on here then why dont you first post the prices that you've already received? Lots of DIY'ers would probably like to know.

Sponsored Links
Go for an engineered wood floor, lay it on top of your exisiting floor,, saves a lot of messing about,, a good engineered herringbone is about £30+ m2 + £3 m2 for good underlay and maybe some self level to go over parts of your existing floor where it is uneven.

It will save you a fortune if you want a real wood finish,
If you just want the effect go down the vinyl route that way you could have nice inserts and boarders.
All you would need to do for vinyl is latex level the floor and lay vinyl.

I am not a fan of a lacquered finish personally and would go down the hard wax oil route, but each to there own and most parquet floors are lacquered these days.

As for your quoted price if you got change out of £5,000 I would be shocked.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your feedback.

The quote for the set of works as per the spec above:

Total £8,139.00

20.00% VAT £1,627.80
Grand Total £9,766.80

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back