Double herringbone parquet floor is creaking.....help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wondered if anyone could help?

I have layed a parquet floor (not finished) and some parts of it are creaking where the blocks are moving when weight is applied.

We used a double herringbone design with oak blocks which are 70 x 266 x 20. We started with a 4mm plywood base on the subfloor which is floorboards and nailed through the tongues, putting six nails in each block before moving onto the next.

Will the creaking stop? Will the sanding, filling and applying of Hardwaxoil cure it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So you secret nailed the wood blocks and did not use parquet adhesive? Why, if I may ask?

You should have used 6mm ply nailed down with 20mm ringshank nails spaced every 6 inches (that 2mm extra makes a big difference) and parquet adhesive.

Theres no need to nail down parquet but 6 nails in each block ??? may be enough to split the tongue.

Also wondering what type of nails you used? Brads or T-nails? Brads are for parquet blocks indeed (10mm max) face nailed to help the block bond with the adhesive but will have no grip at all when used to secret nail in an angle.

Sponsored Links
So you secret nailed the wood blocks and did not use parquet adhesive? Why, if I may ask?

At the time, we had just layed an oak floor in the lounge with secret nails and it was perfect so we thought it would work ok.

I can use adhesive on whats still left to do, but what can I do about the creaking where it has already been laid? Will it continue? Will the sanding, filling and hardwaxoil help?

If the creaking is caused by the method of installation then I'm afraid the answer is no.

I doubt that even if you have split the tongue by using 6 nails in each block, that this is the cause of the creaking.

More likely to be insufficeint thickness of ply (4mm is too thin), spacing between the nailing of the ply (should be every 6 inches in both directions) or loose flooroards that should have been screwed down.

If your subfloor is solid and sound, the use of adhesive provides a seperation layer between the old and new floor.

If your floor has only started creaking since you laid it, then there is your answer. The only cure is to remove, denail and start again with wood block adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back