oak parquet flooring blocks- glue or nail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I am planning to have oak parquet flooring in my living room and and hallway- (total area 56m2) herring bone style.
Each block measures 360mm x 60 mm x 18mm thick T&G.

The fitter has told me he will have to put treated plywood 4mm -6mm over the exisisting floorboards and he will then secret nail the blocks in and there is no need for gluing.

Further more he will charge £180 a day labour and it will take him 5-6 days.

Is this correct because i have read that parquet flooring should not be nailed.

thanks in advance

arronD

Sponsored Links
For starters 4 - 6mm ply is way too thin for this project, he/you should use at least 12mm ply (exterior grade), screwed every 20 - 25cm (mind pipes and wires!).

We would fully bond the blocks to the ply with parquet adhesive (F.Ball B92 or Mapei P990) and not secret nail - it's a wood block floor, not floorboards!

Are the blocks pre-finished or unfinished? If unfinished what type of finish does he plan to use and are the materials and time this will take - sanding and applying finish - included in the price/days he thinks it will take?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back