Flooring repair and transistion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new front door and side panels fitted and have now removed our old door and frame leaving it open to the entrance hall. We quite like the idea of it being open instead of putting doors back in the same place. Note, the door that was removed was the original external front door before a porch extension was build on the front which is where the new door is now.

9ZCR3un.jpg

With this being said I want to carry the flooring in the hallway through to the porch area (tiled area) there is a height difference of around 30mm to the top of the tiles, the flooring is 12mm thickness and the underlay is 5mm. So I'm probably looking at a transisition of 13mm floor to floor. Will a standard threshold bar be ok for this?

Tvk0Dnj.jpg

Also there are two areas of floor where the was a dwarf brick wall (there used to be windows where the current side panels are) the brick pillars were removed leaving a damaged floor. Will normal sand/cement mix fill this or will I need something better?
xUFFWsi.jpg

aYWG6fj.jpg

Sponsored Links
Fill damage with sharps sand screed , then 12mm ply fixed over tiles will bring you floor level , no ramp needed.?

The floor below, is concrete. Would it not be best to use self levelling compound to bring the floor up to level?

Sponsored Links
Score the tiles with an angle grinder and use self levelling compound.
Bal do one that can go 3 inches thick and it's flexible.
Other better option would be to remove the tiles.

Score the tiles with an angle grinder and use self levelling compound.
Bal do one that can go 3 inches thick and it's flexible.
Other better option would be to remove the tiles.
No problem I can do that. Will take a look at the Bal option.

So as it turns out If I continue to run the laminate from the hall it will slightly above the front door. So it looks like I'm going to have to have a threshold bar. Unless anyone has any other ideas?

Can you get a decent floor transition threshold bar that is more like 1.5 metres?

Build one yourself with a simple piece of 2x1.
I've done a 3 metre a couple of months ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back