floor levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am laying a real wood floor on battens and this will raise the floor level by about 55 mm. I have 2 separate problems:

1 What to do about the front door. It seems my options are to a) leave the floor level at the front door alone - turning the area described by the sweep of the door as it opens into a mat well and there to install a large mat. One issue here would be how to manage the transition from the mat area to the main floor without making it a trip harzard or an ugly thing.

b) raise the floor level all the way to the front door. This raises the question of how ro present the floor at the entrance. Right now there is a piece of wood about an inch high which seems to form part of the frame (possibly also an anti-flood, security mechanism?) and marks the boundary between inside and outside.

Any comments/ideas gratefully received.

mainoo

Sponsored Links
mainoo said:
1 What to do about the front door. It seems my options are to a) leave the floor level at the front door alone - turning the area described by the sweep of the door as it opens into a mat well and there to install a large mat. One issue here would be how to manage the transition from the mat area to the main floor without making it a trip harzard or an ugly thing.

do you now 'trip' over the front door threshold? If your mat is a different materials/colour people will notice the difference and will lift their feet.
You could finish the floor to the mat with Ends(L-bar) threshold.

If going down the matwell route i would suggest the neatest way to finish your timber is by using a bit of trim called a 'stair nosing'. These are available to go with most species of timber. You can then face the step with the same wood as the floor.
An 'square edge' (an L shaped peice) may not be deep enough to face the step. Typical matting is around 17mm thick, so if your step is 55 mm high
the exposed face of the step is 38 mm, square edges are normally only available in the thickness of the flooring.

HTH

Ed

Sponsored Links
thank you for your responses. i will build the floor all the way out to the front door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back