Levelling a hallway floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My first post on here so hope I've provided enough info...

I'm about to lay some laminate flooring in my hallway.

The floor is currently on 2 levels with a slight step down towards the door. There used to be a porch with an internal doorway (now removed) hence the lower level where the old porch used to be.

My intention is to raise the old porch floor to the same level as the hallway and then lay the laminate.

The part that need raising is currently a concrete floor which has been ceramic tiled.

As the floor only needs to be raised slightly (too deep just for levelling compound) can I lay some ply directly onto the tiled floor, PVA and then screed over the top to create the level?

Any suggestions welcome or please feel free to point out the shortfalls in my idea :)[/b]

Sponsored Links
How deep is the drop.
Don't use PVA mate. That's for walls not floor.
You could use floor primer like f.ball P131
Apply that neat onto ceramics.
Then a deep fill self smoothing compound.
Or use a latex screed with granno chips.

So, you enter the front door into a porch that steps up into the main house hallway(?).

If you look below the old front door threshold you might see air bricks ( thats if the main house has suspended floors.)Do you see air bricks or vents?

What is the height difference between the hallway FFL and the porch floor tile?

Where is the DPC in relation to the tile surface?

A raised porch floor will alter the height of the porch front door threshold.

So, you enter the front door into a porch that steps up into the main house hallway(?).

If you look below the old front door threshold you might see air bricks ( thats if the main house has suspended floors.)Do you see air bricks or vents?

What is the height difference between the hallway FFL and the porch floor tile?

Where is the DPC in relation to the tile surface? Is it already bridged?

A raised porch floor will alter the height of the porch front door threshold.

Sponsored Links
I think the difference in height is about 50mm but I'm away at the moment so will measure over the weekend.

Thanks fot the feedback so far.

dazlight: Any ideas where to get p.ball P131 from it doesnt seem to be available in Diy stores or Screwfix/toolstation (am I better off going to a builder merchants). Also the Granno chippings (are these one in the same as the likes of travis perkins sell in bulk bags (I thought they were used for landscaping?)

Dann09: Yes the font door has a slight step up (will measure over the weekend ) also I'm pretty sure the floor arent suspended. DPC is at the same level as the concrete floor so its currently only higher by the thickness of the tile. The door has been changed to a composite door so the threshold is now higher when you exit the property so it will be a bonus to raise the floor a bit to reduce the step.

Travis Perkins and wiches should sell the screed an primer. It don't have to be f.ball just as long as its floor primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back