Recessed mat in solid Wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
Im not sure how or even whether i should fix my mat to the floor?
I'm installing a solid wood floor onto wooden floor boards. I've already done about 6 rows along the mat, leaving a 150mm gap. But this means that the mat is now quite loose against the front door. I will add some t bars over it to cover the gap but that won't stop it from moving right?
Should I screw it or nail it to the floor underneath? It's 18mm thick.
Also is it ok just to have the underlay underneath the mat or should I be adding some plastic sheet too? Not sure!? Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Mats traditionally went into mat wells. Mat wells were often framed with a mitred margin similar to the margin at c/breast hearths.

If you post pics of what you have now it might help?

Dont screw or nail anything until you are further advised.

Hi this is the mat by the front door. I've put down some solid wood flooring around it (just finishing the rest of the room now).
The mat is just sitting on the underlay.

Sponsored Links
Like i said above, frame a margin - to go around the three sides but not against the threshold or the LH boxing. You can rip the boards that you have to make the margin, and round off one edge, and stain the ripped edge to match, if you wanted, but not necessary, it will quickly wear in.

Fix and screw the margin in over the mat and then cut the mat to the inside edge of the margin.
Release the margin and lift out the strips of cut mat.
Final fix the margin down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back