Recess for mat in laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to replace my carpet in the hallway with laminate flooring.

The flooring is currently concrete.

I was planning on cutting the laminate so that there is a hole in front of the front door in which I was going to put something like a coir mat. I was going to build a frame around the inside of the hole and screw this to the floor.

Does this sound about right?

Do I need to put any underlay or something under the mat on top of the concrete floor? Can I use 'no more nails' or equivalent to stick the mat to the floor?

Enough questions!!

Thanks in advance,
Gaz

Sponsored Links
I usually fill the things in and laminate over them. Then just stick a normal mat down.
But building a frame, for the well so the laminate can be cut to it, then apply a trim around it, should do.

Thanks for the reply,

Theres no frame there at present, it's just a carpetted floor with carpet underlay between that and the concrete floor.

Do I need to think about anything on top of the concrete below where the mat will go?

Out of interest, why don't you use the recessed area and just put a mat on top?? Just wondering incase I regret doing this in a few months!!

Thanks again,
Gaz

What I would suggest doing as far as the well is concerned, use a damp proof underlay, which I guess you will be also using for the rest of the floor and drop some of the laminate planks on top too.
This will allow the mat to sit level with the rest of the floor.(providing the the mat is going to be the depth of the current well)

It's personal choice whether you fill the well in or not.
The reason I do it, is three fold. I don't like them, I prefer the look of a totally covered floor and I can't be arsed messing about with them. ;)

Sponsored Links
laminate and underlay about 12mm ??
do you plan on padding out all the floor to accommodate the matt or have i missed something ;)

laminate and underlay about 12mm ??
do you plan on padding out all the floor to accommodate the matt or have i missed something ;)

The mat is 17mm so should sit only 5mm proud which is fine for me to open the door.

Prenticeboyofderry, you mention a damp proof course. What do I use for this and where do I put it? Sorry for the naive question but I really don't know and don't want to have to do it twice!!

Thanks both
Gaz

When fitting over concrete bases, you need to protect the laminate from any potential damp rising from the concrete slab.
So you can get combined underlays that will offer a DPM and underlay or an alternative is to lay DPM sheeting (overlapping at joints and taped) and a underlay on top of that.
This will be fitted very much like the underlay to the carpet. The DPM if combined is best being taped to prevent damp penetrating.

You also want to make sure your concrete floor is even/level, to achieve this you may need the help of self leveling compound.

When fitting over concrete bases, you need to protect the laminate from any potential damp rising from the concrete slab.
So you can get combined underlays that will offer a DPM and underlay or an alternative is to lay DPM sheeting (overlapping at joints and taped) and a underlay on top of that.
This will be fitted very much like the underlay to the carpet. The DPM if combined is best being taped to prevent damp penetrating.

You also want to make sure your concrete floor is even/level, to achieve this you may need the help of self leveling compound.

Thank you very much for you reply, it's a real help!!

Can I just use that blue plastic sheeting as a Dpm or do I need to use anything specific? The underlay is fibreboard so doesn't incorporate the Dpm.

Gaz :LOL: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back