Laying wood floor - floorboard screws (to fix squeaks in floorboards stick up a little)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically am going over floorboards and locating creaks - then screwing in floorboard screws along the joist line (as seen from nail holes) - fixing the creaks, but the countersunk head isn't going all the way in to the wood - it sticks up by a mm or so.

Will this prove an issue laying a new solid wood floor over it? I'm planning ot use sika acoubond 4mm mat and adhesive. The solid flooring is 18mm thick.

Sponsored Links
be careful off services [pipes /wires]
do the screws have ribs around the head and what are you using to drive ??
in general with head ridges a second or possibly third 2 rotations unscrew and tighten should sort it frustrating but possibly quicker and simpler than countersinking first
if your screwdriver is on the limits it may run out off umph before the head countersinks by the top ribs/ridges under the head

as an aside, on less than 50mm screws i always use drill drivers on low gear without clutch control on as my preferred method as it requires an amount off conscious effort to avoid damage so far less risk off things going wrong
when using impacts on less than 50mm i use on 1/low energy iff electronic control speed or stop 2 rotations short off driven home unless damage will not happen as in floorboard on joist rather than general say planed 22mm side on timber

Sponsored Links
Find a suitable countersink bit or otherwise drive them home fully.
In softwood and chipboard there is an alternative - use decent.4.0 x 60mm or 4.0 x 70mm screws (e.g. Fischer, Reisser, Spax, etc). These (in particular the Fischer) have small enough heads to sink into softwood or chipboard using an impact driver or reasonably powerful 18 volt combi drill (has to be able get up to about 2000rpm, though) without the need to pilot or countersink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back