Laying solid wood on existing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am about to lay a solid oak floor (wide planks) onto an existing wooden floor (original floorboards)in a first floor flat and in desperate need of clarification as to what, if any, underlay to use. Been hearing different things with some saying solid wood should always be nailed down without underlay to original floorboards and other people recommending to put plywood under it first, whilst still others recommend soundproofing with underlay. Could someone please clarify?? Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Asnwer depends on many things: e.g are your existing floorboards level? If so, proper sound-underlayment and floating installation is suitable.

the majority of the floorboards are level (in hallway, bedrooms, etc) except for in the living room. So if level, wood you not recommend nailing the new boards to the existing boards?

You can, but wood will work (hence expansion gaps etc). Considering you have wide boards, which could expand more than smaller boards, no nail will hold it in place when things go 'wrong'. Floating gives you: a) earlier notice that something is 'up'; B) easier corection. And the insulation will make the whole floor 'sound' better (= less noice)
But your the 'customer' ;)

Sponsored Links
Currently the wood is laying in my flat to acclimatise but you think that even with acclimatisation and leaving expansion gaps around the perimeters fo the room it is still better to float? If so, what type of underlay do you recommend I use?

a very appreciative customer :D

Acclimatising is always just one point in time. The wood adjusts to the existing humidity (now on average between 51 - 58 % in our shop). It does prevent problems straight away, like if your wood would be too moist or too dry. It's more for fitting purpose than to safe guard against expansion or shrinking. In winter, when the humidity driops, your floor will shrink a bit, but that's normal 'wood-working' ;)
For udnerlayment you can use various brands, as long as you don't use one that has a DPM included. NEVER use DPM on existing floorboards.

Hope this helps

actually one more thing that i just remembered - i took out some insurance on the wood and apparently if you put underlay underneath it it is no longer covered by the insurance !! Very odd huh. Could you shed light on this?
And thanks so much for your help!!

No, sorry can't shed any light on that, cause that's the first time I ever heard of that!
What insurance?? who's trying to make an extra quick buck??

its care insurance and covers me for accidental damage, stains or any repair or replacement of the wood as the result of deep surface scratching, water marks, etc etc. but according to the salesguy because solid wood needs to be nailed down without underlay (in his opinion) if we put underlay on it he said the insurance doesn't cover any damage. I haven't seen anything of the sort stipulated in the terms & conditions though.

manonnetje said:
its care insurance and covers me for accidental damage, stains or any repair or replacement of the wood as the result of deep surface scratching, water marks, etc etc.
Whatever will they think of next? Which company is 'providing' you with care insurance and have you ever heard of someone successfully claiming for any of this?
IMHO is it b*ll*cks

Well I do appreciate your humble opinion, so thanks so much for your help on this! I will do some more investigating this weekend and try to find out a bit more. Have a great weekend.

manonnetje said:
its care insurance and covers me for accidental damage, stains or any repair or replacement of the wood as the result of deep surface scratching, water marks, etc etc.
Coming back to this 'care' insurance' I just would like to point out I (we) think it's rubbish and falls in the same category as 'extended warranty cover' on products.
The times we have been called in when a wooden floor was damaged the way it's described above was:
supplier of American style fridge scratching the floor: suppliers insurance paid;
leak of water tank: home-insurance paid;
deep scratches in floor through damaged stiletto heels during photo-shoot (hired-out house to photographer) photographer paid.
Plumber reconnecting radiators wrongly and flooded the floor: plumber paid.

Just you know ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back