Flooring type advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a flat as an investment and requires some work before it can be rented. It was built in the late 1980's, is on the 1st floor and has a concrete floor.
I would like to install electric underfloor heating with a hardwearing, decent looking floor. I was thinking of installing a wooden look Karndean floor as I have seen it in friends places and looks good.

Questions:

1, Does this combination of electric flooring and Karndean work well together or is there a better alternative (requirements being hardwearing, works well with underfloor heating and looks good).

2, If Kardean is a good option, there seems to be several brands that are similar - what would you say is the best value for money.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Karndean is good, but expensive to lay, you may get better/easier results with a laminate or engineered wood floor HOWEVER before you do anything, check the deeds and covenants, it's very common that hardfloors are not permitted in such premesis due to excessive noise through un insulated floors/ceilings to adjoining properties etc.

As above check the deeds also I would go for an engineered floor as more stable and also check the flooring is suitable for under floor heating as some are not

Sponsored Links
Ahh, Ok cheers guys. I will check to see if there are issues with laying any hard flooring.

The reasons I was going to go with Karndean over engineered is that it appears more hardwearing than an engineered floor? Also I would have thought that the Karndean floor would have worked better with an electric underfloor heating system? I don't mind doing an engineered wood floor as I would be confident in laying that myself but the Karndean seems to be a bit more temperamental.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back