Flow and return fro different places?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed an additional single rad via a motorized valve, but have found it's not staying warm. It appears that when the heating first comes on it heats up well, but then as soon as the rest of the house is up to temperature and the boiler is just cycling the water this particular rad doesn't get enough through flow to stay warm in the cold room. I've tried turning the lockshield valves down on all other rads, but with no effect.

I was thinking of installing another motorized valve on the flow from the boiler, and then re-route my flow pipe that feeds the new rad to the flow straight out of the boiler, but before the new motorized valve. In affect when the valve for the rest of the house shuts, the boiler will still circulate hot straight to the new rad, and not anywhere else.

The question is, is it OK to leave the return plumbed where it is, far away from the boiler where the new flow will be taken from? Or do I need to route that back to the boiler position too?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Without a diagram I cannot follow what you have done.

It makes me wonder if you have a one pipe system!

Tony

When you say the rest of the house is up to temperature, how is this measured? If it's via room stat then the system will close down anyway.

With regard to your query about the return pipe, then no problem with leaving this where it is.

When I say the rest of the house is up to temp I mean it's warm enough. We have TRV's on all rads except the new one and the bathroom.

There is no central room stat to turn the boiler off. There's a programmer and the TVR's. Even though they're supposed to limit the temperature if the heating's on all day then it does seem to get hotter and hotter, hence me needing to fit the second valve to stop the flow to the rest of the house whilst I continmue to heat the one room that's a heat eater!

If what dextrous is saying is right, then I'm sorted. I can start extending just the flow pipe back to the boiler position, and fit my new valve and stat in the hall.

Sponsored Links
what controlling the zone valve? does it switch the boiler on when it opens?

Plenty of if's as far as I can tell :LOL:

If, it was connected properly in the first place it would work.

If, we knew what the OP had done with the first zone valve, and provided a drawing we could help.

If, the Op connects either the flow or return in the wrong place he will more then likely get reverse circulation.

If, the OP connects into the flow at the boiler, what provides the circulation, If, the pump isn't in the boiler.

If, the pump is on the return it could easily short circuit the rest of the rads.

If, it works I would be amazed with the information to date.

Plenty of if's as far as I can tell :LOL:

If, it was connected properly in the first place it would work.

If, we knew what the OP had done with the first zone valve, and provided a drawing we could help.

If, the Op connects either the flow or return in the wrong place he will more then likely get reverse circulation.

If, the OP connects into the flow at the boiler, what provides the circulation, If, the pump isn't in the boiler.

If, the pump is on the return it could easily short circuit the rest of the rads.

If, it works I would be amazed with the information to date.

so many "if's" have you no "can's" DIA. ;)

The way I'm reading this is, that in order to have one rad remain on, whilst all others are off, the op has installed a 2-port valve on the feed into this rad :D

Or has he :confused:

The way I'm reading this is, that in order to have one rad remain on, whilst all others are off, the op has installed a 2-port valve on the feed into this rad :D

Or has he :confused:
Hmmm, I think he's teed for the new rad after the heating valve, or maybe there is no switch live going back to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back