Flow or Return to the Temperature Control Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From a practical perspective, on a new rad I'm installing, its easier for me to run the flow line to the TCV.

Is there any reason why not? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the TRV?

If so, modern TRV's can be fitted on the flow or return, so it doesn't really matter. Most people still fit them on the flow though out of habit.

Many thanks TeaTime.....I've always tried to fit on the flow but, as I thought about it, I couldn't see why that should be so important.

If they are bi-directional, it won't matter, if they aren't then they will vibrate and not function correctly.

Sponsored Links
If they are bi-directional, it won't matter, if they aren't then they will vibrate and not function correctly.
Unidirectional TRVs can still be installed on either end provided the arrow points in the direction of flow. The head will be vertical at one end and horizontal at the other end.

Unidirectional TRVs can still be installed on either end provided the arrow points in the direction of flow. The head will be vertical at one end and horizontal at the other end.

Very true, I should have clarified that the vibration and lack of function was due to fitting the TRV contraflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back