Flue on a combi boiler?

JAD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of switching to a combi boiler and having it placed in my bathroom upstairs (in place of the hot water cylinder). The best position for it is against the party wall!
Can anybody tell me if this is allowed, particularly in view of the fact that this would entail the flue rising vertically into the loft space, making a 90 degree bend and travelling about 2metres before exiting at a gable end?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Each boiler manufacturer will have their own limitations as to the length of the flue so you should check these carefully before buying anything. Remember that each elbow normally adds about 1M to the overall calculated length of the flue.

If you have a gable end, then why not think of locating the boiler directly there?

Be aware of the electrical safety issues when installing in a bathroom. Basically it mustn't be possible for someone using a bath or shower to reach the boiler controls, although it's actually a bit more complicated with different zones in the bathroom. This may mean having a cupboard built around the boiler, so it's worth considering the alternative of putting the boiler in the roof space as suggested above, although this also requires access works.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.
My plan is to put the combi in a cupboard, where the hot water cylinder is now, so that we still have an airing cupboard.

I shall do some careful measuring and take advice before buying.

Sponsored Links
JAD said:
My plan is to put the combi in a cupboard, where the hot water cylinder is now, so that we still have an airing cupboard.

Good plan :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back