Fluorescent light - fuse blows constantly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have two fluorescent lights running off one switch, but whenever I try to turn them on, the 5A MCCB opens.
I hear that there could be a "ballast" problem, but don't know what this means or how to check!
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the ballast is the thing that limits the current to the tube after it has initally started. it is also there to provide the inital umpteen thousand volts to warm the gas in the first place.

you really wanted to know that didn't you :LOL:

If it is your ballast (probably is) you may as well get a complete new light, as with a new light you get a new tube too, the difference in cost is not worth worring about.

your only problem is to find which of the two lights is causing the problem. That too is easy to solve. dissconnect one. but for your sake put the wire you have dissconnected in to a connector block before switchin on, as i mentioned the ballast generates a few thousand volts.

electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one

:D
Thanks, Breezer!

I said to my wife, before I posted, that I thought you would reply, as you seem to be the bloke to ask about this sort of thing!

I'll try what you suggested - and thanks again.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thank you :oops: :oops:

screwfix have 4 lights for £27, + tubes, but why not take a trip to your loacal Q & B warehouse (not store) they really do not cost much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back