fluorescent loft light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Please can I have some advice on wiring a twin T8 fluorescent loft light, I did this a few years ago in my old flat, luckily there was a junction box close to the loft hatch so was able to wire into that using 1.5 twin and earth and a light switch.

I cannot see any junction boxes in the house I now live in but directly under the loft hatch is a fan isolator switch for the bathroom extractor fan. can I take the feed from this and position the light switch next to it?

Can I use 1.5 mm to link both these up and use 1.5mm approx. 6 metes to the light fitting.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to use the fan isolator (I suppose there is a chance that it is wired unusually).

Have you a meter to determine which is which?

There should be a Permanent Line(Live), Neutral and CPC(Earth) plus likely a Switched Line so you have all the required connections.

1mm² would be more than adequate.

It is highly likely that you lights are all looped in at the fittings, can you access one of the nearby light fittings?

Hi

Thanks for the replies it is very much appreciated, I took the cover off the fan isolator switch and there are two cables one is the supply which is live and has brown to L1, black to L2, blue to neutral and earth to the box. The other feeds the top of the switch, this goes to the light pull chord which operates the fan when turned on they are wired the same as above.

Can I simply spur into the supply side brown to L1, blue to neutral and earth to earth, I have a spare neon fused switch 13 amp and was wondering if this would be ok to use.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I took the cover off the fan isolator switch and there are two cables one is the supply which is live and has brown to L1, black to L2, blue to neutral and earth to the box.
I expect the blue is a grey wire or it has a blue sleeve to denote it is neutral.

The other feeds the top of the switch, this goes to the light pull chord which operates the fan when turned on they are wired the same as above.
Can I simply spur into the supply side brown to L1, blue to neutral and earth to earth, I have a spare neon fused switch 13 amp and was wondering if this would be ok to use.
Yes, although you only need a simple switch if it is on the lighting circuit.
A neon might be useful to show if it has been left on.

Hi all

Have power to the fitting which has an emergency light backup which is not necessary for my use but my question is the connector block has two live terminals, one labelled unswitched mains.

Which one do I use to bypass the emergency set up and battery, it is a thorlux twin 35w.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back