Fluorescent tube light fittings mounted on rockwool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting 50mm of rockwool between my rafters (leaving a 45mm air gap between the felt for ventilation). This will leave it flush against the rafters and I will then add another 50mm across the entire roof for a total of 100mm.

At present, I have fluorescent tube light fittings screwed to a length of wood which is then screwed to the rafters. Once I have installed the insulation, this will need to sit on top of it. Should I just buy some 110mm+ screws and fix it back to the rafters through the insulation, or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
Fit wooden blocks to the rafters and stilt the fitting?

Have you any idea how daft fitting a fluo on to the existing rafters with longer screws would be?

It would compress the wool behind the fitting
It would push the felt
It would be wonky
It is a stupid idea

I would also suggest you give thought to the calble and make sure it is NOT buried under all that wool.

Sponsored Links
That's why I asked. I have read that any gap in the insulation will cause significant heat loss so I was trying to avoid it wherever possible. I have not used rockwool before and have not bought it yet so I don't know how tough it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back