Flush box sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully good people of this forum will be able to help me with my queries??
Floush boxes!! and there sizes.
I have the need to put in 2 no control switches 1 for hob, and 1 for oven

the hob will just be a switch only, the oven will have switch and single socket outlet, can someone help me with these simplish queries

1. is the switch only for the hob a standard 1 gang flush box
2. is the oven switch with single outlet standard 2 gang flush box?

I ask on this forum as the chap on the counter at our local factors says yes, yes, but i suspect especially the switch/outlet for the oven.

also just a simple one! an overhead ceiling mounted extractor above the hob, would this be done as a spur from the 32A ring? or a spur from the Hob?

Sponsored Links
1. is the switch only for the hob a standard 1 gang flush box
Possibly. Possibly not. You're the one choosing the actual accessory, so you are the only person who knows how big it is.

2. is the oven switch with single outlet standard 2 gang flush box?
Possibly. Possibly not. You're the one choosing the actual accessory, so you are the only person who knows how big it is.

also just a simple one! an overhead ceiling mounted extractor above the hob, would this be done as a spur from the 32A ring?
It could be.

or a spur from the Hob?
It could be. The advantage of that is that in the unlikely event of you having to turn off the hob because it's on fire, the fan will stop pulling the flames up. You can decide, given your experience of how frequently you have such fires, how important that would be.

It can be troublesome to keep cables supplying extractor hoods in safe zones - do take care.

Plius

you say
standard 2 gang flush box
but many cooker/socket combo switches are a special size, with their own special box.

In any event you may need a deep (47mm) box if you are terminating 6/10mm² cables.

Sponsored Links
Why have two switches? Why have a switch with a socket?
Valid questions. In fact, if (as is common) the oven and hob shared the same 'cooker' switch (probably connected to the appliances via a 'dual outlet plate'), then there's no reason why it couldn't also have a socket, if the OP wanted it to.

Kind Regards, John

thanyou for your replies!

I have done some research and it looks like standard 2 gang flush box (albeit 47mm deep) will suffice for my chosen oven switch with single socket outlet combined. Single gang for my hob switch.

Reason for two switches is that the hob sits on a breakfast bar, and oven is in other location to this.

reason for oven to have incorporated single socket outlet is just the convienience of a single socket at the location for the oven switch,

BAS, decided to spur extractor of hob switch as it will give a cut out in emergeny fire situation, although this will mean i cannot run the extractor without the hob being powered, which may be my desire if possibly milk that was boiling overflowed and i wanted to cut hob power and still extract the steam.

Thanks for your replies.

So you've got at least 1 appliance not against a wall, ditto an extractor hood.

Who is doing the electrical work?

Are you aware of the extent of what electrical work in kitchens requires Building Regulations approval in Wales?

For the records
I am doing the electrical work myself
My building officer as been informed as part of my building regulations duty).

BAS, decided to spur extractor of hob switch as it will give a cut out in emergeny fire situation, although this will mean i cannot run the extractor without the hob being powered, which may be my desire if possibly milk that was boiling overflowed and i wanted to cut hob power and still extract the steam.
If that situation arose, you would normally be able to switch off the hotplate in question using the normal cooker controls, without having to 'isolate' the entire hob, wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

Surely a hob which has been "designed" with controls placed so that the user will get burned if a pan has boiled over is dangerously unfit for purpose?

mmm intresting one BAS, havent yet purchased the hob for this house, but the ceramic hob at my last premises had touch controls within 3 or 4 cms of the element, could definetly burn your mitts on that one, top of the range NEFF model too..

maybe cooking on hobs like driving a car on a road as specific dangers that because of the nature of there convienience and historic practicality the elf and safety bods have to ignore!

I always imagine seeing a theoretical ariel video of a single track B road out in the country were you may have a 17 YO provisional driving licence holder driving a john deere "massive " tractor towards a bend were from the other side of the bend may be a born again pensioner cad with a new floozy which he is trying to impress with his sporty wheels, and in the bend a lady on a very nervous horse which is at present blind to both vehicles!!, this scenario and many variations of it are played out by the minuite all across the country, only rarely does it end in disaster or collision...But if we were about to invent the motor vehicle so that these occurences would happen how would the elf and safety theorists react

mmm intresting one BAS, havent yet purchased the hob for this house, but the ceramic hob at my last premises had touch controls within 3 or 4 cms of the element, could definetly burn your mitts on that one, top of the range NEFF model too..
When I commented, I didn't really have touch controls in my mind - in relation to them, you might well be right!

I have to say that I've always been rather surprised that touch controls, particularly when on the 'cooking surface' are actually 'allowed' for hobs! I would certainly not want them - I would want a 'knob' that I could turn rapidly if/when I wanted/needed to!

Kind Regards, John

I'd also want a hob on which I could use a large pan without it overhanging the controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back