Flush Threshold advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I would like to add a 5m run of aluminum sliding doors to the back of my extension. Ideally I would like the internal and external floors to be at the same height so i'm thinking about going down the flush threshold route but i'm worried about how weather proof they are. I was looking at a system that had drainage build into the track that links to a slot drain underground. The theory sounds fine but I wonder how weather proof they are and if I will have no end of problems with them. Does anyone have any experience of theses, either living with or fitting? It's quite a major part of the build and I would really love it to be flush but not at the expense of water and wind getting in.

I don't live on the coast or in a particularly windy part of the country, I have fence down both sides of the house so i'm hoping this will help to shield some of the wind and rain.

I have included an illustration of how it would work and wonder if anyone could offer and words of support ;)

BTW, went to the grand designs show and think I may well go with a company called Duration Window – anyone know of them??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are lots of systems for a level threshold. Have you got a link to the one you propose? IMO, a solitary brush is not enough, and can be easily overcome or blocked.

One with a threshold strip would be better

Hi Woody,

These are the guys i'm planning on getting the windows from and whilst they tell me they will be fine with a Flush threshold, I have my doubts! I need to be sure as otherwise it's a costly mistake:

http://www.duration.co.uk/continental_specifications.asp

here's a link to their pdf which shows their options for thresholds etc:

http://www.duration.co.uk/technical/continental bifold/Continental sections and thresholds.pdf

I'm really after some independent advice from people who either install or are living with these systems.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddy,

Yeah, I was going to install one of them as I have used them in the past and found them to be effective and to be quite honest they are needed. Apparently with the system i'm looking at there are slots built in to the threshold so any water will run out to a slot drain if one is installed, my issue is whether the rain and water will drive under the flush threshold. The manufacturers say that unless you live by the coast or on a hill then you should be ok but i'm not so sure.

The easiest option is to have as you state, a small slot drain at the edge of a step but I was ideally hoping to avoid this step. as I wanted the floor to seem flush throughout. If I do go for this system thanks for the heads up as they are by far the least obtrusive of slot drain i've seen :)

I can appreciate your doubts about this. My inclination would be don't do it - go for something that's a bit easier to weatherproof. In the last 15 years I've seen storms in this country that wouldn't be out of place in the tropics. You don't want to find yourself mopping up a puddle inside the door, even if it is only a couple of times a year.

drains can block with dirt etc;
why not have a small step , like 25mm then have a steady fall away from the door? it will hardly be noticeable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back