Flushing Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed some radiators in order to decorate and noticed that they contained a fair amount of sludge. I was a little surprised since I had had a new Worcester Bosch Combi boiler fitted to the existing central heating system some 3 years ago, and was told that the system was cleaned at that time.

I manually flushed the radiators I took off and intend to do the same with the other 12. ( I refuse to pay British Gas the extraordinary amount they require to power flush them!). Does anybody know if using something like Sentinel restorer is just as good? If it is, it will save me a lot of work!

A quick response would be appreciated - I intend to start this afternoon

Sponsored Links
Masona, Thanks for the info. I bought the Sentinel restorer it was cheaper than the Fernox and I'm led to believe, just as good.

I was hoping someone knew whether it worked as well as physically removing and flushing the rads?

The only reason I said Fernox I know they works very well and not heard of Sentinel restorer but probably not a lot in it.Fernox is a well know brand and have a good support service.What you're doing with the radaitor is a good idea to flush them out but also turn them upside down to weaken the sludge out.What normally happen during flushing the water by-pass the sludge,so you're thinking it's clean and it not!

Also did you know you can hire the power flushing machine form the Tool Hire Shop

Sponsored Links
Sentinel cleaners: X400 is a flocculating agent which takes several weeks to work. Ferroquest is a much more active mittel which works in a few hours, usually.

When the new combi was fitted, was the system powerflushed? If not it absolutely was not cleaned!

Powerflushing requires some plumbing work to isolate the boiler's bits & add full flow drain points, - and some knowledge. You can hire machines for £50 a day or so.

The most serious problem from system sludge will be in blocking the primary side of your secondary heat exchanger - which will screw your tap hot water output rate.

Circulating cleaners then draining will help, but can't be compared to power flushing. No way I'd remove all the rads, which doesn't help the boiler anyway.

Remember to add inhibitor afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back