Flymo 330 vibration.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

I own a Flymo 330 Glider hover mower, the second example of this model I've had since moving to this house, which has a largeish lawned garden, in 2014. The first one was ditched after developing an horrendous vibration which didn't respond to any of the remedies I came across in online forums. I ran it without the blade to check for a blade fault (it didn't vibrate without the blade, so I bought a new one and it made no difference). I changed the blade retaining washer and bolt but again, no change. The only potential remedy I was aware of but didn't consider was changing the bearing, which I would imagine is not economically viable. Anyhow, that one went to the tip after about 18 months' service.

The second example has now started vibrating also, after just over a year of use. I've tried the things above without success, but today I added a second spacer to reduce the blade height and lo and behold, no vibration. I don't want to continue using the mower with two spacers because I prefer to leave the grass a little longer, but if I take the second spacer away the vibration is likely to return. Anyone have any clues as to what is going on, and whether there might be an alternative solution to adding that second spacer?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would think there is a fair chance that the motor spindle is bent and running out of true here.....certainly there won't be any vibes without the blade on.
The extra spacer may be interfering with the 'harmonics' of the motor - the vibe will be still there but at a slightly different speed!
John :)

Many years ago I had one of those and I found that you had to take the blade and spacers off then you could get to the cooling fins that are underneath the plate that the blade assembly are fixed to.
The problem with my one was the fins were always clogged up with dried mulched grass and once I had cleaned this away and reassembled it, the problem went away for a while.
So take the underside apart and give it a good clean up and things should improve.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys. I'll head for the shed right now, do the necessary dismantling and make sure those fins are clean. Will report progress later.

I don't know whether simply removing and remounting the finned plate has done the trick because there was hardly any mulch on it, but I cleaned it anyhow and can now report that the mower is working with minimal vibration and just one spacer.

If this happens again, I'll dismantle, clean and reassemble in the same way and hope it does the trick once more.

Thanks again. ;0)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back